City & Guilds accredited
ONE-DAY COURSE: 9.15am – 5pm
Lunch and refreshments provided
Printed delegate materials provided
This new course focusses on the requirements of BS 8580-2: Risk assessments for Pseudomonas aeruginosa and other waterborne pathogens – Code of practice. The course reviews a number of pathogens commonly found in Healthcare water and focuses on identifying and breaking the causal chain of infection i.e. Contamination, Amplification, Transmission, Exposure and Susceptibility by working on practical clinical case studies. Healthcare specific risks and controls are covered for a variety of clinical scenarios. This course also details certain aspects of water hygiene training, as recommended in the HTM 04-01 Part B (2016) revision. The practical training session includes equipment typically risk-assessed in healthcare.
It is not essential for delegates to have any prior knowledge of this subject, but experience of risk-assessing healthcare water systems for Legionella and/or infection control would be beneficial to assist understanding.
On-line modules “W201 – Legionella control and the law” and “W203 – an appreciation of hot and cold water systems” are pre-requisites for this course, as elements of both these modules will form part of the final exam.
This course will be of interest to:
- Members of Water Safety Groups or allied committees.
- Infection Prevention and Control Specialists
- Those responsible for the building maintenance of healthcare premises, augmented care units, dental services and care homes (including managers, advisors, consultants, service providers and facilities managers).
- Operators responsible for carrying out routine maintenance, monitoring, sampling and inspections of water systems.
- Service providers wishing to extend their service offer to include risk assessment and control of waterborne pathogens other than Legionella.
- Persons wishing to increase their knowledge in this area.
- To gain knowledge of waterborne pathogens, including Pseudomonas aeruginosa and to understand the habitats that they prefer.
- To understand the requirements of BS 8580-2 and how that relates to BS 8580-1.
- To give practical information on identifying, managing and controlling hazards and clinical risks related to water microbiology.
- Introduction to waterborne pathogens - how they grow and where they thrive.
- Identifying the causal chain of infection.
- Practical instruction and guidance in how to risk assess clinical equipment.
- Practical instruction and guidance in the control and management of waterborne pathogens.
The day includes extensive instruction in the Practical Training Area where the student's ability to follow instructions, work by themselves, work safely in respect to their own safety and the safety of others and account for their actions in a clear unambiguous written record will be observed and assessed.
40 minute written exam with additional practical assessment, each accounting for 50% of the marks on this course. Overall course pass mark of 70%. A resit is possible for anyone failing the exam for an additional fee.
6 CPD points awarded.
This course was previously listed as W037 - HTM 04-01 Water Hygiene Training: Managing & Controlling Risk of Waterborne Pathogens in Healthcare Water Systems
This course forms part of the Legionella Risk Assessment for Healthcare qualification pathway.
W201 Legionella Control & the Law (online course)
W202 Legionellosis Causes and Impacts of Infection (online course)
W203 An appreciation of Hot & Cold Water Systems (online course)
W204 Legionella Control of Hot & Cold Water Systems (online course)
W259 Temperature Monitoring, Sampling & Inspection of Hot & Cold Water Systems for Technicians
W264 Legionella Risk Assessment of Hot & Cold Water Systems Foundation
W265 Practical Legionella Risk Assessment Hot & Cold Water Systems AdvancedView Dates & Prices