City & Guilds accredited
ONE-DAY COURSE: 9.15am – 5pm
Lunch and refreshments provided
Printed delegate materials provided
This new course focuses on the requirements of BS 8580-2: Risk assessments for Pseudomonas aeruginosa and other waterborne pathogens – Code of practice. The course focuses on Pseudomonas aeruginosa and considers patient susceptibility, routes of transmission, condition and usage of water outlets within augmented care areas. It focuses on identifying and reporting on the causal chain of infection i.e. Contamination, Amplification, Transmission, Exposure and Susceptibilityand then by going through practical ways to break that causal chain. Healthcare specific risks and controls are covered for a variety of clinical scenarios, including the usage and management of clinical water services, such as how to monitor outlet cleaning techniques and the effect this can have on routes of transmission. Also how to engage with the Water Safety Group (WSG) during the risk assessment process. The practical training portion of the session includes equipment typically risk-assessed in healthcare.
Experience of risk-assessing healthcare water systems for Legionella and/or infection control would be beneficial to assist understanding.
On-line modules “W201 – Legionella control and the law” and “W203 – an appreciation of hot and cold water systems” are pre-requisites for this course, as elements of both these modules will form part of the final exam.
This course will be of interest to:
- Those carrying out, or wishing to carry out, Pseudomonas aeruginosa risk assessments within augmented care environments.
- Members of Water Safety Groups or allied committees.
- Infection Prevention and Control Specialists
- Those responsible for the building maintenance of augmented care units within healthcare premises (including managers, advisors, consultants, service providers and facilities managers).
- Persons wishing to increase their knowledge in this area.
- To gain knowledge of Pseudomonas aeruginosa and to understand the habitats that they prefer, and the routes of transmission to include colonisation and patient infection.
- To understand the requirements of BS 8580-2 in relation to identifying and quantifying the risks along with suitable and sufficient reporting of findings and recommendations.
- To give practical information on identifying, managing and controlling hazards and clinical risks related to Pseudomonas aeruginosa.
- Understanding the routes of transmission and infection.
- Identifying and reporting on the causal chain of infection.
- Practical instruction and guidance in how to risk assess the augmented care environment and equipment.
- Engaging with the Water Safety Group, specifically clinical, housekeeping, facilities management and trust managers.
- Reporting on the suitability of clinical equipment and its usage.
- Practical instruction and guidance in the assessment of risk of exposure to Pseudomonas aeruginosa.
The day includes extensive instruction in the Practical Training Area where the student's ability to follow instructions, work by themselves, work safely in respect to their own safety and the safety of others and account for their actions in a clear unambiguous written record will be observed and assessed.
45 minute written exam accounting for 75% of the marks with additional practical assessment accounting for 25% of the marks on this course. Overall course pass mark of 70%. A resit is possible for anyone failing the exam for an additional fee.
6 CPD points awarded.
Electronic certificates will be sent directly to successful candidates to the email address we hold on file.
This course was previously listed as W037 - HTM 04-01 Water Hygiene Training: Managing & Controlling Risk of Waterborne Pathogens in Healthcare Water Systems
This course forms part of the Legionella Risk Assessment for Healthcare qualification pathway.
W201 Legionella Control & the Law (online course)
W202 Legionellosis Causes and Impacts of Infection (online course)
W203 An appreciation of Hot & Cold Water Systems (online course)
W204 Legionella Control of Hot & Cold Water Systems (online course)
W259 Temperature Monitoring, Sampling & Inspection of Hot & Cold Water Systems for Technicians
W264 Legionella Risk Assessment of Hot & Cold Water Systems Foundation
W265 Practical Legionella Risk Assessment Hot & Cold Water Systems AdvancedView Dates & Prices