Details - UPDATED FOR 2024
City & Guilds accredited
TWO-DAY COURSE: 9.15am – 4.30pm each day
Lunch and refreshments provided
Printed delegate materials provided
This is a classroom focused course, with practical elements for those who undertake, or are looking to undertake legionella risk assessments of hot & cold water systems. Ideal for those just starting their careers in legionella risk assessment, or with limited site experience, or wishing to refresh on the principles of legionella risk assessment. The course is also aimed at those wishing to progress through to the advanced training courses on cooling systems, and other risk systems, and at end users and managers wishing to gain an overview of legionella risk assessment.
Candidates need not have a significant working knowledge of L8 and HSG 274 parts 2 and 3, although this would be an advantage.
Students should attend W201 Legionella Control & the Law and W202 Legionellosis Causes and Impacts of Infection online courses prior to attending this classroom course. Access to these online courses is included as part of this classroom course booking.
Experience of hot and cold water systems layout and operation would be beneficial (but not essential). An appreciation of hot & cold water systems can be gained from online module W203 (sold seperately).
Pre-reading of L8 and HSG 274 parts 2 and 3 would be beneficial (available as a free download from the HSE website).
- To give delegates information on the background, history and medical aspects of Legionella.
- To give explanation of the legal requirements in relation to legionella risk assessment.
- To instruct in the theory of risk assessment in general and basic legionella risk assessment in particular.
Classroom based, looking at:
- Legionella awareness & history
- Medical aspects
- The legislative framework
- Risk assessments theory, principles and concepts
- Schematic drawings
- Conducting a risk assessment survey, considering all aspects of both record keeping (software) and systems survey (hardware)
- Risk assessment reporting, including defining and applying risk ratings
- Water hygiene regimes
- Sampling strategies
- A brief look at other simple risk systems and the principles of risk assessing such systems
Both days include practical exercises, in the Practical Training Area (PTA):
- Main plant items, including storage tanks, hot water calorifiers, expansion vessels, pipework, TMVs, hot water circulating systems
60 minute written exam with 70% pass mark at the conclusion of day 2. A resit is possible for anyone failing the exam for an additional fee.
12 CPD points awarded.
Electronic certificates will be sent directly to successful candidates to the email address we hold on file.
This course forms part of the Risk Assessment qualification route and is common to all 3 pathways for that qualification.
Delegates will be encouraged to partake in active discussions lead by the tutor.
W203 An appreciation of Hot & Cold Water Systems (online course)
W204 Legionella Control of Hot & Cold Water Systems (online course)
W259 Temperature Monitoring, Sampling & Inspection of Hot & Cold Water Systems for Technicians
W265 Practical Legionella Risk Assessment Hot & Cold Water Systems Advanced
W266 Legionella Risk Assessment of Evaporative Cooling Systems
W268 Management & Control of Pseudomonas aeruginosa Risk in Healthcare Water Systems
W270 Risk Assessment of Other Risk SystemsView Dates & Prices