City & Guilds accredited
ONE-DAY COURSE: 9.15am - 5pm
Lunch and refreshments provided
Printed delegate materials provided
Operatives and contractors responsible for completing cleaning and disinfection of hot & cold water systems services. Also beneficial to owners of water systems and their employees, who are wishing to bring a contracted-out cleaning service back in-house, and responsible persons who wish to ensure their sub-contractors are undertaking the tasks correctly.
Students should attend W202 Legionellosis Causes and Impacts of Infection online course prior to attending this classroom course. Access to this online course is included as part of this classroom course booking.
To ensure delegates:
- Understand the need for cleaning and disinfecting systems.
- Understand how to complete the task correctly.
- Receive practical experience and advice in carrying out the work.
- Manage their work safely and effectively.
- The legislation relating to cleaning and disinfection works and how to comply with it.
- When and why cleans and disinfections are undertaken and how they are to be carried out.
- The importance of cleaning and disinfection in domestic hot and cold water systems.
- Information on the importance of, and actual production of, a task risk assessment and method statement prior to carrying out the work.
- Guidance on model methods and how to fit them to individual systems.
- Instruction on how to calculate volumes of different shaped tanks and how to calculate the volumes needed of different strength chemicals required for disinfection and neutralisation.
- Instruction on sampling, testing chlorine levels and the safe handling and disposal of chemicals.
The day includes extensive instruction in the Practical Training Area where the students’ ability to follow instructions, work by themselves, work safely in respect to their own safety and the safety of others and account for their actions in a clear unambiguous written record will be observed and assessed.
NB: All necessary PPE is supplied but delegates may wish to bring their own PPE, especially eye protection. All testing equipment is also supplied and demonstrated, but delegares may use their own testing equipment if preferred. This is a practical course - work clothes are essential.
45 minute written exam with work in the practical training area counting towards 25% of the exam result for this course. Overall pass mark of 70%, a resit is possible for anyone failing the exam for an additional fee.
6 CPD points awarded.
Electronic certificates will be sent directly to successful candidates to the email address we hold on file.
This course was previously listed as W017 Cleaning & Disinfection.
This course forms part of the Water Treatment qualification route for all 4 pathways.
W203 An appreciation of Hot & Cold Water Systems (online course)
W204 Legionella Control of Hot & Cold Water Systems (online course)
W259 Temperature Monitoring, Sampling & Inspection of Hot & Cold Water Systems for Technicians
For specific coverage on cooling systems see W258 Cleaning & Disinfection of Evaporative Cooling SystemsView Dates & Prices