City & Guilds accredited
ONE-DAY COURSE: 9.15am – 5pm
Lunch and refreshments provided
Printed delegate materials provided
This course is designed for duty holders, legionella responsible persons, and deputy legionella responsible persons requiring information on the main aspects of legionella and Legionnaires disease, its implications and the need for controls. It provides training for persons in higher management including owners, legionella responsible persons and duty holders of water systems.
As well as duty holders and responsible persons, delegates are likely to include factory, site and office managers, and supervisory staff. Site engineers, facilities managers and plant operators may also find the course useful especially if they have had limited training in legionella and the need for its control.
It is essential for dutyholders, legionella responsible persons and those who are responsible for, use or operate, any water system that is capable of growing and emitting legionella bacteria.
The course assumes no previous knowledge of Legionella, but delegates would benefit by downloading The Approved Code of Practice (L8) and HSG274 Parts 2&3 from the HSE website (free PDF download - click here)and familiarising themselves with them.
- To give detailed legionella training to owners and operators of hot and cold water, and other (not evaporative cooling - see course W251) systems so they understand how to meet the demands of health and safety regulations (and so operate their water systems within the law).
- To gain an understanding of the degree of control necessary in the most common systems, and an outline of the requirements of the control of other systems, including commercial and industrial water systems (and where that information can be obtained).
- To ensure the delegates understand how to deal with the regulators, what to expect during an inspection, and how to prepare for a visit from them.
- Background, history, microbiology and legislation relating to legionella and Legionnaires disease.
- Health and Safety law and the hierarchy of Acts, Regulations, Approved Codes and Guidance, including ACoP the control of legionella bacteria in water systems L8, and technical guidance HSG274 part 2 the control of legionella bacteria in hot and cold water systems and HSG274 part 3 the control of legionella bacteria in other risk systems.
- Compliance requirements: legionella risk assessment and competence, written scheme and management and control.
- Selection of sub-contractors
- Specific controls in domestic hot and cold water systems in the workplace
- Record keeping
- Dealing with a visit from the regulator
60 minute written exam with 70% pass mark. A resit is possible for anyone failing the exam for an additional fee.
6 CPD points awarded.
Electronic certificates will be sent directly to successful candidates to the email address we hold on file.
This course was previously listed as W019 Legionella Training for Duty Holders & Responsible Persons Incorporating L8.
Anyone requiring information on Cooling systems should attend W251 Legionella Control & Management for Dutyholders and Responsible Persons – Evaporative Cooling Systems
Anybody requiring Legionella Awareness training should refer to online courses:
W201 Legionella Control & the Law
W202 Legionellosis Causes and Impacts of Infection.
W203 An Appreciation of Hot & Cold Water Systems (online course)
W204 Legionella Control of Hot & Cold Water Systems (online course)View Dates & Prices